It might seem like a strange combination of flavours but using strawberry tops in a green pesto adds a subtle yet sweet freshness to this dish.
They’re completely edible and usually end up in the bin so we’ve whizzed them into a flavoursome pesto and served it alongside gluten-free pasta with chard, hazelnut and bacon lardons. It’s a great way to reduce your food waste at home.
When next preparing strawberries, remember to bag and freeze the tops for up to a month, ready to whizz into smoothies, soups and pesto (defrost first).
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
- 4 serving(s)
- Prep Time:
- 25 mins
- Cook Time:
- 20 mins
- Total Time:
- 45 mins
- Step 1Toast the hazelnuts in a small frying pan over low heat, tossing occasionally, until fragrant. Tip into a food processor and set the pan aside.
- Step 2Add the Parmesan, garlic and chard stalks to the processor and whizz until finely chopped. Add the chard leaves, strawberry tops, lemon zest and juice, oil and plenty of seasoning. Whizz until smooth, adding a little water to thin, if needed.
- Step 3Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to pack instructions. Meanwhile, put the reserved pan over medium-high heat and cook the lardons, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp.
- Step 4Drain the pasta and return to the pan over low heat. Scrape in the pesto and stir to coat and warm through. Check seasoning.
- Step 5Divide pasta between 4 bowls and sprinkle over the lardons and some finely grated Parmesan. Serve.
Make pesto up to a day in advance. Cover and chill. Complete recipe to serve.
Choosing higher welfare pork (check packaging or ask our butcher) and reducing the amount, is a more sustainable way to enjoy meat.